This dish takes some preplanning, but the effort will win praise.
Tasty Thai Basil Chicken Stir Fry
- 6 dried ORIENTAL MUSHROOMS, 2 to 3 inches in diameter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons SALAD OIL
- 2 tablespoons minced FRESH GINGER
- 3 minced CLOVES of GARLIC
- 1 medium sized ONION, sliced thinly
- 2 pounds skinless CHICKEN BREASTS, cut into small strips
- 1 ½ cups chopped FRESH BASIL LEAVES
- 5 GREEN ONIONS including tops cut in 1 inch lengths
- STIR FRY SAUCE
- ¾ cup CANNED COCONUT MILK
- 3 tablespoons SOY SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons RICE WINE VINEGAR
- 1 ½ tablespoons THAI FISH SAUCE
- ½ to 1 teaspoons crushed dried HOT RED CHILES
- Okay, let's put in altogether!
- ) Soak the mushrooms for about 30 minutes in warm water. Drain. Slice into thin slivers. If you want to discard the stems, go ahead. I often keep them. The more the merrier.
- ) Heat your no stick fry pan or wok to HOT, add the salad oil.
- ) Add sliced onion, garlic and ginger. Stir fry until onion is soft, 3 to 4 min
- ) Remove from heat and set them aside
- ) Add ½ the chicken to the hot pan and stir fry till lightly brown, 3 to 4 min Set it aside and do the same with the second half of chicken. Add another tablespoon of oil if necessary. Set the second batch of chicken aside
- ) Pour the stir fry sauce into the pan. Boil and reduce its volume by a quarter to a third.
- ) Add chicken and onion mix. Then add basil, mushrooms and green onions
- ) Stir fry until all is just heated.
- ) Eat----4 delicious servings ready to go