I love breakfast. Why you may ask? And even if you aren’t asking, I am going to tell you. I love eggs, which I also eat for dinner. It’s ever so loverly (a word stolen from Eliza in My Fair Lady) to be an adult and eat breakfast food for dinner as often as I want.
Eggs & Ham with a Twist is a triple hitter recipe. This fluffy egg dish can be served as a main dish for a light lunch or dinner, as well as for breakfast. The ingredients are nicely balanced, so no one flavor is overpowering.
If your world contains a traditionally boring breakfast eater—the person who orders ham and eggs every single time they go out to breakfast FOR YEARS and they are older than twelve—this may be the perfect recipe to soothingly ease them into a wee change. I am not worried I have alienated the boring breakfast eaters, because it’s unlikely they read food blogs. But just in case, I am moving along now.
The first time I made this recipe, I didn’t have a clue what role the cottage cheese would play. Oh my goodness was I surprised! We are talking fluffy fluffy fluffy. Think pseudo-soufflé without the tension and bother. One word of warning, it would be wise to down play the amount of salt when you initially prepare it. The salt content of the ham can skew the salt taste balance.
Every time I make this recipe the devil flies around my head, lands on my shoulder and whispers in my ear, hey be a little wild and crazy, take a chance, add some zing to the white sauce. I flush with temptation. My heart drums a call to adventure. Thankfully every time I brush the bothersome imp off my shoulder. Like a good girl I dutifully serve the dish with a plain white sauce, which is the best choice. The dish’s flavors are distinct, but delicate. The plain white sauce’s job is to increase the soft silky texture experience on the tongue. It plays a part in the drama like frosting on a cake, it’s an alluring bennie—a two for one deal.
Egg Ham Bake With A Twist
- 1 pound COTTAGE CHEESE, small curd
- 4 tablespoons BUTTER, softened
- 1 cup COOKED HAM, diced
- ½ cup GREEN ONIONS, chopped
- 6 EGGS, beaten
- 1 cup GRUYERE CHEESE, shredded
- SALT & PEPPER, to taste
- WHITE SAUCE
- 4 tablespoons BUTTER
- 4 tablespoons FLOUR
- 2 cups MILK or substitute half n half for richer sauce
- SALT to taste
- To make sauce:
- ) Melt butter in sauce pan
- ) Add flour, mixing constantly & cooking for a minute
- ) Slowly stir in milk
- ) Stir constantly until thicken, add salt
- ) In a bowl work the cottage cheese into the softened butter
- ) Mix in ham, gruyere cheese & green onions
- ) Salt and pepper the eggs and fold into the cottage cheese mixture
- ) Pour into 11/2-2 qt buttered baking dish
- ) Set the baking dish into another pan and pour hot water in outer pan 1 to 1½ inches high around inner baking dish
- ) Bake for 1 hour until set at 350 degrees F
- ) Serve with White Sauce. Serves 4